Monday, September 16, 2019

County Clerk and Election Officer

The County Clerk is responsible for a wide range of duties as specified by Kansas State Statutes:

  • Serves as Secretary to the Board of County Commissioners; attends Commissioner meetings; prepares and posts agendas and keeps meeting minutes; maintains proceedings of Commissioners' meeting, including all contracts and agreements entered into by the County.
  • Receives and compiles all budgets submitted by County entities, the city, and the school district; presents budget to County Commissioners for consideration and revisions;
  • Compiles, calculates and prepares tax levies;
  • Prepares real estate, personal property and state assessed tax roll and certifies to County Treasurer;
  • Prepares the County's Annual Financial Report and Quarterly Financial Reports;
  • Accumulates and files a bond indebtedness report for all taxing entities in the county;
  • Carries out all elections and certifies to the Secretary of State; maintains voter database; accepts filings for public office; keeps financial statements of expenses for county, city, school district candidates;
  • Provides Accounts Payable and Payroll functions for all County departments; receives all claims filed against the County;
  • Administers the County employee benefits program, including health insurance and retirement plans;
  • Maintains personnel records, job descriptions and the County Policy Manual;
  • Retrieves and balances Motor Vehicle Tax then interfaces distributions to County Treasurer;
  • Serves as the County Freedom of Information Officer;
  • Maintains inventories;
  • Provides assistance to county residents in preparing Homestead Property Tax Refund Applications for the Kansas Department of Revenue;
  • Issues Cereal Malt Beverage Licenses to establishments outside city limits;


Clerk's Office/Elections Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Where do I register to vote?

A. The County Clerk's Office

Q. What information do I need to file my Homestead Return and my Food Sales Tax Return?
A. Total household income, including Social Security, and a copy of tax statement

Q. How do I find out who owns a certain piece of property?
A. Bring the legal description or address to the Clerk's office or the Appraiser’s office.

Q. Who do I talk to about the valuation of my property?
A. The Appraiser’s office.

Q. Do we have county zoning?
A. No

Q. Where do I find out what it costs to file a document?
A. Documents are filed in either the Register of Deeds office or the District Court Clerks office.

Q. Where do I find out what my traffic ticket costs or my court date?
A. The District Court Clerks office.


County Clerk

Jana Irby, County Clerk/Election Officer
Dani Roeder, Accounts Payable Clerk
Deb Keith, Payroll Cler


8:00-5:00, Monday - Friday



410 N. Pomeroy
Hill City, KS 67642
Phone (785) 421-3453
Fax (785) 421-6374


Wildlife & Parks Licenses
2 Lane Liquor
600 W Main
Hill City
Phone: (785) 421-4152
Hill City IGA
113 E Main
Hill City
Phone: (785) 421-2051